Saturday, October 5, 2013

My Son, My Story

I have never posted anything about T's birth story.  I jumped into blogging...pretty much on a whim...and went from that day forward.  So now, I will back a beginning of sorts.

My husband and I were married on October 16th.  I knew before two months had passed that I was pregnant.  What a blissful day that was!

I shared the joyful news with my husband in this way:  I prepared a special supper, set a beautiful table, and gave him a gift-wrapped box after we had finished eating. The gift was a Christmas ornament.  --No surprise there.  I love ornaments, and it was December!  My husband expected it to be a "First Christmas Together" ornament.  He was blown away when he looked closely at it and read the words, Parents-To-Be!  I was so delighted to see his shock and amazement.  He is the hardest person to surprise.  He was totally surprised...and overjoyed with the news, of course!  :)

I had a great pregnancy.  It was so much fun.  I loved being pregnant.  --No morning sickness...just the one morning I gagged while brushing my teeth.  :P

Even though I was of "advanced maternal age," we chose not to have any diagnostic tests performed...because of their invasive nature.  I do not regret my decision. (More about that subject in a future post!)

I had a full-time job at the time.  A day and a half before T was born, I had mentioned to one of the managers at work that I didn't feel well.  I felt like I was getting the flu. He told me later that, at the time, he thought it was a ploy to get out of being at work...because it was an absolutely beautiful, sunny Friday afternoon.  :)  I later found out that it is not uncommon for a woman to experience flu-like symptoms a day or so before the birth of her baby.

T was born on July 16th...nine months to the day after we were married.  :)  He was born on a Sunday at 2:15 pm.  He weighed 6 pounds and 12 1/2 ounces.  He measured 20 1/2 inches.  I had natural childbirth, and everything went great.

About four hours after T's birth, the pediatrician came to our hospital room to tell us of his diagnosis.  My first thought was for T, that I didn't want him to have a difficult life.  The next morning, my husband went downstairs to the hospital cafeteria for breakfast.  Afterward when he returned to our room, I discovered that we had both shed tears...privately, separately...for the loss of what we thought our new family life was going to be.  That was the first time...and the only time we cried about that.

I remember when one of the elders from our church called the day after T was born. I told him that I knew (with tremendous conviction) that T was meant for us.  I still know that...with tremendous conviction!  :)  He is perfect for our family...for us.  The Lord knows.  He is so awesome and good!!

I wish I had some pictures to share with you.  Alas, we didn't have a digital camera at the time, and we don't have a scanner at the moment.  So...maybe another time. I'm just thinking...lots of words here, and no pictures to break it up.  I hope you made it this far.  Lol.


  1. I love your post! So sorry to have missed the last few posts; the only thing that can keep me from checking this blog daily, is having a precious niece and nephew here...
    I'm happy that you are "participating" in 31 for 21.
    Oh, btw, you were right! T is perfect for your family... in my eyes, he is just a perfect child! :)

  2. Our stories have a lot of similarities! We were married Sep 15, Kayla was born on July 15 (although it was 3 yrs after we got married). I never had morning sickness, only gagged a couple of times while brushing my teeth, also felt sick the morning I went in to labor. She was born at 3:00pm and she was 6lbs 13 oz (If my memory is right ... it has been 10 yrs!)