Monday, July 1, 2013

International Postcard Exchange

I have been collecting international postcards for almost four months now.  It is very enjoyable to connect with other people all over the world!

It is a postcard exchange; however, it is not a direct swap.  This is how it works:  I indicate that I would like to send a postcard, and a random address pops up.  I send a postcard (of my choice) to that person at the address provided.  (I am not given a choice of a country.)  When the postcard I have sent is received, the recipient registers it.  At that point, my name goes into the queue...and when someone somewhere else in the world indicates that he/she wants to send a postcard, my name and address will pop up.  Then, that person will send me a postcard (hopefully!).  When I receive a postcard, I register it.  At that point, (a) the name of the person who sent me the postcard will go into the queue to receive a postcard from someone else, and (b) I am able to indicate (if I choose to do so) that I would like to send another postcard (and will receive another random address).


I have sent postcards to these countries:

  • Belarus (5)
  • China (2)
  • Finland (3)
  • Germany (7)
  • Netherlands (5)
  • Poland (1)
  • Portugal (1)
  • Russia (3)
  • Spain (1)
  • Taiwan (3)
  • Ukraine (3)

I have received postcards from these countries:
  • Belarus (3)
  • Belgium (1)
  • China (3)
  • Czech Republic (2)
  • England (1)
  • Finland (1)
  • Germany (3)
  • Hong Kong (2)
  • Japan (1)
  • Netherlands (3)
  • Poland (2)
  • Portugal (1)
  • Russia (2)
  • Taiwan (2)
  • Ukraine (1)

Note:  The number in ( ) indicates how many postcards I sent / received.

All of the postcard messages are written in English.  :)  Sometimes, a sender also will write a few words in their native language.  That's always fun...and very interesting!

Quite a few people add their individual flair, such as writing the date sent, the temperature of the day, drawing a little picture, adding a sticker or stamped image, etc.  I like to see the many different postage stamps, as well.

When I receive a postcard, I excitedly show it to T.  My plan is to pull out the various postcards as we study each country (over the next several years!).  Wouldn't these postcards make a terrific addition to continent boxes used while Galloping The Globe??!  Ahemnot that I have continent boxes made or anything!  That's another project for another day....  :P

I guess it could be considered a somewhat expensive hobby...considering it costs $1.10 to send a postcard internationally (plus the cost of the postcard itself...usually $0.50 or so).  The good news is, there is not a minimum number of postcards that must be sent.  (In light of that, it even might be considered an inexpensive hobby!)

1 comment:

  1. What exchange program are you using? Has the information on the postcards been student appropriate?

    ReplyDelete