Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Back-to-School Supper

We enjoyed a back-to-school supper this evening.


We ate:

  • vegetable soup
  • breadsticks
  • cheese crackers

A simple meal, really, but I tried to give it some flair...for "back to school."  :)


I made the vegetable soup from scratch, from a recipe my mom gave to me years ago...and added some alphabet pasta (for flair!) to make it alphabet vegetable soup.



For the breadsticks, I tried a new recipe I came across:  Late-Night Breadsticks, from the Taste of Home Good Food Kids Love cookbook (October 2006 issue).  I changed it a bit...and came up with the following recipe.


Back-to-School Breadsticks

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1 roll refrigerated Pillsbury Original Breadsticks
1/4 cup butter, melted

In a shallow bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside.  Unroll and separate dough into 12 strips.  Dip each strip in butter, then roll in cheese mixture.


Place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 375 degrees F. for 10-13 minutes or until golden brown.


~Incredibly yummy...and just as fattening, I'm sure!  ;o)  As I placed each piece of dough onto the baking sheet, I shaped it into a letter (for flair!).


I also served Cheez-It Scrabble Junior crackers in an apple-shaped glass dish.


T's milk was in a cup with alphabet letters all over it.



Above T's place setting, I spelled his name using all different kinds of letters.



I saw the idea for the meal (menu) and the decoration (name) on The Princess and The Frog Blog.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment