Friday, November 23, 2012

Book and Ornament Advent

I love books (especially children's books), Christmas, and ornaments...so what better way to celebrate the season than with a book advent?  I've noticed that a number of other bloggers* have done this...and, well, it just looks like so much fun!!

I have a bunch of Christmas books, of course!  :P  Here are the books I've selected:


     A Merry Little Christmas
          by Mary Engelbreit
     A Shepherd's Gift
          by Mary Calhoun
     Asleep in the Stable
          by Will Hillenbrand
     Careful, Santa!
          by Julie Sykes
     Christmas in the Barn
          by Margaret Wise Brown
     Christmas in the Manger
          by Nola Buck
     Gingerbread Baby
          by Jan Brett

     I Love Christmas!
          by Hans Wilhelm
     If You Take a Mouse to the Movies
          by Laura Numeroff
     My Christmas Stocking, Filled with God's Love
          by Crystal Bowman
     My Merry Christmas and the Real Reason for Christmas Joy
          by Sally Lloyd-Jones
     O Little Town of Bethlehem
          by David Mead and Chris Sharp
     One Snowy Night
          by M. Christina Butler
     Room for a Little One
          by Martin Waddell
     Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
          adapted by Rick Bunsen

     Saint Francis and the Nativity
          by Myrna A. Strasser
     Santa Mouse
          by Michael Brown
     Snowbear's Christmas Countdown
          by Theresa Smythe
     Sugar & Spice - The Yummy Scents of Christmas
          (author unknown)
     The Christmas Story
          by Carol Heyer
     The Donkey's Christmas Song
          by Nancy Tafuri
     The Little Christmas Tree
          by Karl Rühmann

     The Littlest Christmas Tree
          by Janie Jasin
     The Night Before Christmas
          by Jan Brett
     The Twelve Days of Christmas
          by Jan Brett
     The Very Snowy Christmas
          by Diana Hendry
     This Is the Star
          by Joyce Dunbar


Each day leading up to Christmas, T and I will read a Christmas book and make an ornament.  I've put up a tree specifically for these ornaments.  Here it is, ready to go!


The ornaments already on the tree are examples of the ornaments T will make.  I've also hung a little ornament for each book we will read...a printed copy of the book cover, mounted on card stock.


I should add that this is a very lofty goal for me...especially with everything else that occurs during this time of the year!  We will see how many books we actually are able to do.  ;o)

*My inspiration:

     The Crafty Crow
     The Ramblings of a Crazy Woman
     A Day of Wonders
     The Fantastic Five

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say how great it was to see my picture book THE CHRISTMAS STORY listed on your books for advent list. I thought you might want to know that this book, updated with new art and updated text, was re-released as THE FIRST CHRISTMAS. You can see the cover and read about my other Christmas books on my web site: http://www.carolheyer.com/childrens-books.html
    Merry Christmas to you and your family,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete