Sunday, February 16, 2014

Earthquake


          "It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
          "And freezing."
          "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."
                    ~by A.A. Milne

I was upstairs, sitting at my desk...doing something on the computer, when the earthquake hit.  I knew exactly what it was, since I'd experienced an earthquake when I lived in Kentucky.  That felt like a slight tremor; this felt like...well, let's just say that I felt it!

The U.S. Geological Survey reported a 4.1 magnitude earthquake which hit at 10:23 pm on Friday (February 14th), seven miles northwest of Edgefield, South Carolina.  It was felt across South Carolina and as far away as Atlanta, Georgia and Greensboro, North Carolina.

I went downstairs to ask my husband if he had felt it.  He had been asleep in the recliner...and looked at me like I was crazy.  I said, "Check it out!  --Get on Facebook or the Internet...."  I received another "look" from him, like Yeah, right. However, he did switch the television to a news channel.  Sure enough, they were reporting that telephone calls and e-mail messages were flooding in to the newsroom from throughout the upstate....

Although the earthquake hit approximately 90 miles away from us, I was rocked forward and backward, and back and forth in my chair...and the items on the shelves of my desk hutch were rattling...for at least 8 seconds.  (If you think about it, that's a long time when you're being jostled unexpectedly by an earthquake.)

An earthquake of this size is not a common occurrence in South Carolina.  This earthquake was the strongest in South Carolina since a 4.4 magnitude earthquake struck near Charleston in 2002.

sources:
   USA Today
   WYFF 4

Did you feel South Carolina's earthquake on Friday night?  Have you ever been in an earthquake?

No comments:

Post a Comment